How can a cookie with only four ingredients taste SO good? All I had the energy to do on last Friday was bake a batch of shortbread. It was definitely a sick day! But shortbread is a wonderful starting point for all kinds of sweet adventures: one part sugar, two parts butter, three parts flour, no leavening. Oh, flavor it with pecans or hazelnut and a little powdered sugar to top it off. Simplicity never tasted so good.
Shortbread cookies aka Mexican Wedding cookies
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups flour
- *powdered sugar for top of cookies after baking
- Cream butter and sugar thoroughly.
- Add pecans and flour and mix until well blended.
- Form cookies using a cookie scoop into approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch balls.
- Drop cookies onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 14-15 minutes.
- Let cool, then dip into powdered sugar.
- Store in a single layer, covered.