-“Have you ever tried fried pickles ? “
– “Yes, you read that right.”
I remember eating [too many] pickles as after school snacks when I was younger and I have never kicked that pickle eating habit. Plain, chopped, in dips, on sandwiches…pickles just make everything better. Ok, but fried pickles ?. Although it may sound like something you’d never touch, if you like pickles and you like things fried, you must give them a second thought.
- * 1 Jar Kosher dill pickle spears
- * 1 tsp garlic powder
- * 1/2 cup Louisiana hot sauce
- * 1/2 cup buttermilk
- * 1 gal peanut oil
- * 2 cup Uncle Bubba’s Fry Mix (recipe available in Uncle Bubba’s Savannah Seafood Cookbook)
- Drain the juice from the pickle jar and refill the jar with the garlic powder, hot sauce, and buttermilk.
- Marinate the pickles for at least 30 minutes.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the oil to 350 degrees F.
- Drain the pickles.
- Put the fry mix in a large mixing bowl, and toss the pickles to coat thoroughly.
- Shake off the excess mix by tossing lightly in a strainer and deep fry the pickles in batches for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the size of the spears.
- When golden brown, remove the pickles from the oil with a clean strainer or slotted metal spoon and place on paper towels to drain off any excess oil.
- Serve immediately.