I have been wanting to share this recipe for awhile now but just kept forgetting. Seems like my tastebuds went to savory side during New Years holidays, so I wanted to change things up a bit. Today I am bringing you a recipe for a sweet treat which also happens to be one of my favorite old fashioned desserts. Coconut Cream Pie!!!
I love just about any cream pie whether it’s banana, chocolate or coconut. I do have to say this is the best coconut cream pie I have tasted.
Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake it, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt and mix well.
- Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut and the vanilla extract. Reserve the remaining coconut to top the pie.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and chill until firm, about 4 hours.
- Top with whipped topping and with the reserved coconut.