Who doesn’t love Heath bars? Toffee, chocolate, what more could you ask for? I was going through my stack of handwritten recipes the other day, trying to choose some appropriate ones and I came across this cookie bar recipe. It’s from Gourmet Magazine but I’m not sure what year. I love the Toffee and chocolate flavor and if you do too, you’ll really love these Toffee Chocolate Bar cookies.
- 3/4 c margarine,softened
- 3/4 c packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 10 oz tin sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1 3/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 c toffee bits
- Cream together margarine,brown sugar and flour until well blended and mixture sticks together. Press into 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350* for 20-25 min or until light golden. Cool while preparing filling.
- Heat sweetened condensed milk and margarine in heavy pan,stirring constantly over med heat for 5-10 min or until thickened.
- Spread over cooled base. Bake at 350* for 12-15 min or until golden.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the top.
- Bake for 2 min longer or until chocolate is shiny and soft.
- Remove from oven. Spread chocolate evenly.
- Sprinkle toffee bits on top,pressing lightly into chocolate.
- Cool completely and cut into bars.