Lemon sheet cake is not a particularly impressive-looking cake, it’s just basic 9×13-inch cake. But it’s a cake for feeding a crowd and in my humble opinion, is the best lemon cake you will ever eat. I love the look and taste of the glaze and lemon sugar topping and it is something a little different than standard chocolate/vanilla frosted cake.
- 1 box duncan hines moist deluxe lemon cake mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 3 oz lemon instant pudding mix; dry
- 4 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice; bottled
- 3 T Vegetable oil
- 3 T water
- In large bowl, stir together dry cake mix and pudding mix.
- In another bowl, combine all wet ingredients and eggs that the cake mix calls for plus the buttermilk.(where your box reads the amount of water (1 1/3 cup usually), put in 1 cup water and 1/3 cup lemon juice to make the cake even more lemon tasting, if you like) Beat with mixer until blended.
- Add to dry mixture and beat until combined.
- Bake in a greased 9x13 baking pan in a preheated 350 degree oven for the time the cake mix box calls for...depending on your oven.
- It will require a couple minutes longer baking time than cake mix box calls for because of the extra moisture produced by the milk.
- Stick a toothpick in the center to check for doneness.
- ICING: Combine water, oil, powdered sugar and lemon juice with a mixer until smooth.
- Add one more tablespoon of water if consistency isn't saucy.
- "Glaze" the cake when just a little cooled.
- Do not over glaze it because the icing is sweet.
- Just a THIN layer is required